“I just can’t stop my mind from thinking…”
… is the usual response when I mention that I love meditating. People often believe they will only benefit if they sit for long periods with a chatter-free mind achieving buddhist monk status.
If you are working towards calming your ‘monkey-mind’ and extending your practice, just a few minutes daily will produce better results than a lengthy practice performed infrequently.
Tips to assist your meditation practice
- Find somewhere you won’t be disturbed. If possible, choose a regular spot each time. This supports your mind in building positive associations. We are aiming for calm relaxation with a gentle focus
- Take a few deep breaths to center yourself
- You can say a prayer or call upon your Guides or Source to bless and protect you as you meditate
- Bring your attention to your heart chakra in your chest
- Start by generating feelings of gratitude, joy or other positive emotions. These help to raise the vibration of your energy field. This practice can assist your connection to your higher self and the Higher Realms which vibrate at a faster frequency
A simple guided meditation for clearing and connecting…
- Imagine you have roots or cords emerging from the soles of your feet. Visualise them descending deep into the earth
- In your mind’s eye, anchor these roots at the centre of the earth’s core
- Using your out-breath, send any excess energy along the roots and into the earth… negative thoughts, frustrations, anxiety – just let them go
- Then imagine you are drawing up the beautiful energy from Mother Earth. Let it flow up through your feet to fill your whole body
- Now visualise a brilliant white light beaming down from above. Watch it pass into your crown, flowing through each part of you
- See it infusing and bathing every cell in your body
- Imagine this light expanding and forming a cocoon around you
When you visualise and meditate this way, you are infused with high density light from Source or the Divine, filled with wisdom, codes and spiritual information. It is this light that protects and nourishes us whilst we meditate.
- Next bring your attention to your chakras. Begin at your crown and imagine the light flushing through each one in turn
- As you focus on each one, visualise each chakra wheel opening like a flower, allowing the light to activate and cleanse these spinning energy centers
- You may start to feel a deep sense of relaxation and peace
If your mind wanders…
- As unwanted thoughts creep in, which they will, just observe without judgement. Let them go without attaching to any one in particular
- You can use your breath to focus your mind by locating the entry/exit point of the breath. Can you focus on the small sensation point where the air arrives as you inhale and leaves as you exhale? Each time your mind wanders, bring yourself back to this point at your nostrils
- You could also focus on a mantra to calm your thoughts. A word or phrase: ‘love,”peace,’ ‘I am calm,’ ‘I am that I am’
- Remain in this state, observing your breath, until you are ready to come back
Closing the meditation
At this point, your energy field may have expanded and your chakras will be open. When completing your session, it is important that you close down and manage your energy to ensure you remain in your body and grounded.
- Starting at the root (see the red chakra in the image above), one by one, imagine each of your chakras closing, like the petals of a flower
- Visualise your cocoon of white light around you and into this protective bubble draw in your precious energy
- Gently disconnect from Source / the Light above
- Again, imagine your roots descending into Mother Earth, keeping you grounded
- Bring your attention to the sensations in your body, wriggle your toes and become aware of the sounds around you
- Welcome back Beautiful Soul!
And… repeat – regularly!